Sunday, May 5, 2013

EDITH ANNIE HAWKS


Grandma’s Story – by Ruby Thomas

When I first met your Grandpa, ‘twas at the undertaker’s you know,
It happened this was my uncle – and my sister was there with her beau.
She introduced me to your Grandpa and he asked to walk me home. 
After that, as I remember, most every Sunday he would come. 
We’d go to church together, and we’d walk the countryside. 
And soon we had an understanding that some day I’d be his bride.

But your Grandpa had the wanderlust – he’d look across the sea,
And talk of leaving England and to sailing off with me. 
Well, I didn’t want to go, and I could see he couldn’t stay, 
So I said, “You go without me,” and he really did one day.

Three long years he spent in Canada and in United States. 
I thought I’d seen the last of him, but my heart still seemed to wait. 
Then one Easter morning I saw him sitting there in church,
A lovely girl beside him - and my heart gave such a lurch.
After the service he introduced her, she was his sister don’t you see.  
How glad I was to see him.  And he seemed glad to be with me.  

What a shock to have him tell me he was sailing off again next day.  
But before he left he gave me presents which must have used up half his pay: 
A diamond bracelet and a necklace, a watch and an engagement ring! 
I knew then that he’d return to me, and my heart began to sing.

We were married Friday morning, May 12th, 1910, 
and I determined not to let him get so far away again.  
We paid for a special license to be married without delay, 
for we must catch a boat to Canada the very next day.

We lived in Peterborough, Ontario for about six weeks or so,
Then moved to Salt Lake City.  Can it be so long ago? 
Fifty years now we've been married – and I’ve seen a lot of men, 
but if I had to do it over, I’d be your Grandpa’s bride again.

No comments:

Post a Comment